Sunday, June 29, 2008

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky


Click image to not go to Amazon


  • Category: Russian Novel
  • Acquired: Borrowed from Betsy & Todd
  • Read: February, March, April, May
  • Briefly: Russian man commits a nasty crime, and is tortured by guilt for 472 pages.
  • Comments: So, you ask, "since when did Ken start reading Russian novels?" The answer is twofold: first, since I became impressed by how often Dostoevsky was mentioned by other Christian authors as someone whose writings had a profound impact on their own spiritual journeys. Indeed, I've heard him described as someone whose writings kept the Christian perspective alive during the dark days of Communism. I wanted to understand why this was so. Secondly, it was just one of those curiosity things - my kids had read them (voluntarily), and I wanted to see what the fuss was about.

    However, what they neglected to tell me (until too late), was that the best way to go at one of these books is to read a commentary first, find out what to look for, and then go ahead and read it. Maybe if I had done that, more of it would have sunk it. As it was, I pretty much followed the story line OK, but I think I missed the deeper parts. At least, I can't point to any profound effect this had on my spiritual understanding. I suppose it also didn't help that I read this book in 15 minute snippets over a four month period. Maybe that's not ideal?

    2 comments:

    Kari said...

    Plus I would have recommended the Brother's Karamozov instead.

    Ken V said...

    Showoff.